Saturday, August 26, 2006

Between Two Worlds: How to Destroy a Denomination

I read this blog entry tonight (click title of this entry to read it). It was taken from Mark Driscoll's blog (Driscoll is the founding pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, WA). It is 10 Steps to Destroy a Denomination. He's a blunt guy - that is his style, but it's true, and sadly we are seeing it happen.

It brought 2 Timothy 4:1-4 to my mind: "I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from truth and wander off into myths," (ESV).

I'd love to read your thoughts in the comments section, so feel free to post (just an FYI - I recently changed my comments settings to allow non-blogger members to post).

1 comment:

Noah Braymen said...

Yeah...I was involved in the 50 post conversation after that post... I think Mark came across a little abrasive, but I do agree with his assessment of the situation:)

Also, Justin Taylor (at the blog I referred you to) just linked to the latest 9Marks newsletter and it's all on emergent. I have applied to do a church apprenticeship at the church in D.C. where 9Marks is based out of. Justin tends to be the most "conversational" of orthodox conservative christians that publicly engages with the emerging church movement.

Shane...you should also consider the Desiring God conference this year. A lot of excellent speakers will be there "Above All Earthly Powers: Christ In A Postmodern World". You'd dig it:)

In Christ
Noah