Sunday, March 25, 2007

Children of War

The student ministries that I lead just completed the 30 Hour Famine which is a fundraiser for World Vision. We watched a couple of video segments. One was called "From Locusts to Landmines" and the other was called "Uganda's Children of War". I have participated in the 30-Hour Famine numerous times, but this year I was really convicted that I have to do more. I'm not sure what yet, but I have to do more.

World Vision can feed a child for $1 a day. For $30 they can feed a child for an entire month. I recently purchased a Frappacino at Starbucks the other day. The money I spent on that would have fed a child for at least four days. I have to do more. We have to do more.

We also had a chance to act locally too by participating in a food drive for the Pella Food Shelf. It was really cool to see the grocery cart we were taking around fill up.

I also found an excellent documentary on the problem facing the youth of Uganda called "Invisible Children". They also have a website - http://www.invisiblechildren.com. I am embedding the video below. It's 55 minutes long, and I this is a video you do not want to watch with young children in the room. Please do watch it, and please act.

No comments: