Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Verses of the Day: 1 Corinthians 13:4-10

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.
Every time I read that I'm convicted. Anybody with me? Am I alone in this? Sometimes I really stink at loving. Can I just get that out? God is continually working on me regarding patience. I cringe with how often I insist on my own way with my family and even in ministry. I think of times I have been irritable toward my children just this week (and it's only Tuesday). So I'm offering full disclosure here. I haven't arrived (no surprise there). I'm still in process. We all need to keep this passage in mind when interacting with our families, friends, people in church, coworkers, kids at school, wherever we may be.

Those who are involved in ministry we see in verses 9-10, that our gifts don't mean one iota if we do not love. If we are arrogant, rude, self-seeking, and constantly wanting our own way. Ministry is not about us, it's about Him. Sometimes we can get that confused - i.e. "This is my ministry."

Lord Jesus, help me to love you and love others as you have called me to do. I need your help. Help me to be restrained in my speech. Soften my heart toward those in need. Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in Your sight for You are my Rock and Redeemer, (Psalm 19:14).

1 comment:

Sista Cala said...

Oh yeah, I am with you. The part that most often brings conviction to me is the part about insisting on my own way. Something about being the firstborn in my family. I have a strong personality and self-confidence to a fault. Thank God for my mother teaching me to rely on Him rather than on myself alone. Conviction is a good thing.