Monday, October 15, 2007

Specks and Logs

After preaching at a church recently I had an older woman come up to me to thank me for my sermon. She was visiting from out-of-town and this was the second Sunday she had heard me preach. She started to complain about the permissiveness of adolescent culture, the increasing pregnancy rates that she was seeing where she lived, as well as the language that some kids use today.

She told me all of this after sharing that she helps with the post-anesthesia room at the Planned Parenthood clinic where she lives (she is a retired nurse). So a person who works in an abortion clinic and for an organization that hands out condoms to whomever will take them was complaining about the permissive culture we live in today. Helloooooooooo - Planned Parenthood and organizations like it are a big part of the problem! Incredible!

Made me think of Matthew 7:2-4
"For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye?" (English Standard Version)
I regret not being able to talk further with this woman, but she was walking out the door and I also had someplace else I needed to be. I also was having a hard time not keeping my jaw from dropping. Needless to say I'm thankful that she wasn't a member of the church I was at.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: