Saturday, November 18, 2006

My Jesus by Todd Agnew

I know this song has been around for a while, but I love it. It is so in your face. I know in my Christian walk I have been guilty of embracing a sanitized version of Jesus. Study the Gospels, I mean dig in and you'll see how radical He was (and is).

"The Son of Man has come eating and drinking and you say, 'Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yes wisdom is justified by all her children," (Luke 7:34-35, ESV).

If He were to come again, and by that I mean incarnationally not as in the 2nd coming (there won't be any mistaking who He is then). I wonder how accepted He would be in our churches? I would say not so well. I think we would be uncomfortable with his style of love. He would spend His time with the least, the last and the lost, just like He did in ancient Israel. He reached out to the sick, the lame, the demon-possessed. He touched lepers to make them well (unheard of - touching unclean lepers!). He had compassion on the crowds when he looked upon them as they pressed up against Him, (Matthew 9:35). He cleansed the temples, and stood up to the religious leaders. He was falsely accused, beaten, mocked, harrassed, scorned, paraded in His shame, crucified, dead, buried, risen, victorious and is now sitting at the right hand of God the Father. That's my Jesus!

No comments: